Sunday, February 20, 2011

Monday Musings - 21 Feb 2011


Week 2, a lot to talk about, and my coffee hasn't kicked in yet. Let's do this!


Left 4 Dead 2

I got invited into a game of this by a friend twice this week. I haven't played the game in forever, but L4D2 is always a blast. We played through Dark Carnival and Hard Rain, and as a first, i made it to the chopper in Dark Carnival. I also got an achievement for hitting a charger in the face with an axe as he was charging. Good times. Melee weapons might have disasterous effects on your health throughout a campaign, but they make the game oh so much more fun. Especially the baseball bat and samurai sword.


Stacking


I didn't play as much of this as i wanted to this week. I'm halfway through the final level, and just need to sit down and finish things off. There's a henchmen that you best by feeding him tainted soup. The act of taintaing said soup was quite unpleasant.

As an aside, that is actually one of my favourite things about the adventure genre. Those puzzles that make you think, "My god, i'm actually doing this? This is horrible!" One of my favourite examples is distracting the stewardess on the airplane in Zak McKraken and the Alien Mindbenders. Stacking has had quite a few of these types of solutions. I guess it's sort of like choosing the dick responses in games like Mass Effect, but the thing is in adventure titles, you don't get to choose, and have to go through with these plans.


Mass Effect

Finished off my 2nd playthrough this week. Made a few different major choices (Virmire, and the last part of the game). Also as i completed every sidequest i could find (except those survey and anomaly ones), i wonder if anything will come of that in the sequel (Admiral Kohaku and Cerberus).

I'm taking a break with some other RPGs before jumping back into Mass Effect 2... but i think it's the sign of a good game, that now i want to new game+ Mass Effect with my beefed up Super Shepard before heading into ME2. I most likely wont. That way lies madness.


World of Warcraft

Without planning it, it seems Friday has turned into WoW day. I played for a few more hours, mainly distracting myself levelling up my herbalism and alchemy professions to an adequete level before continuing questing. I'm level 12 now so i've started assigning talent points. I'm heading into the Fire tree (i thought about Arcane, but Fire seems safer as a levelling spec) and i must admit, it's great when you proc arcane missiles on a frost bolt and then crit your fire blast, and your enemy just drops. Yeah.


Grim Joggers

An iphone game. I've been meaning to pick this up ever since Andrew showed me his Appspy review. Also, seeing i used to review these things myself, i thought it might be fun to stick on top of iReleases™

This is a simple endless runner game where you have a gaggle of joggers who respond to your input at different times, and you have to jump and double jump to get them through an obstacle course of death. The longer you play, the more levels open up, and the final level is especially fun and deadly.

The way the joggers work reminds me a little of Lemmings 2: The Tribes, in that you could still complete the levels with only one lemming left (well some of them). The more joggers, the higher your score, but the game is easier on sole survivor mode (for a while).

I dunno if i'll buy a new one this week. We'll see if there's anything i wanna check out. ^^


Fallout 3

The Game of the Year edition has been sitting in my steam library fully loaded for a long long time. I finally decided to load up. Yeah... i've been sucked in. The whole aging sequence in the vault is a great introduction, and then when you step outside the first time, wow. This really is Fallout in a full fledged 3d world. I've only played about 5 - 6 hours so far, exploring some of the wasteland and helping out Megaton (i disarmed the bomb), but i can see that i'm gonna be playing this for a while (especially cause this version of the game has all the expansions).

I was complaining about how buggy the game was over the weekend and how it was crashing for me all the time. Turns out, a simple change to the ini file in regards to multi-core threading, and the game runs smooth as butter.


Final Thoughts

We'll see how long i last in Fallout 3. I've been doing some thinking on burning out on games. With RPGs (seeing as they're the main genre where the hours played are measured in groups of 10), my burnout point seems to be 20 hours in. It happened for Persona 4, it happened for FFXIII, it happened for Mass Effect 2 (Mass Effect's playtime on both plays was about 16 - 19 hours so that was ok).

Now part of me says all i need is a break of something else, but the problem is i never go back to the original game once i break. Now i've had this problem with other titles that aren't RPGs (Super Mario Galaxy 2 is on this list), and actually there are plenty of long RPGs i've completed (the longest being Xenogears clocking in at 80 hours or so), so perhaps it's a situational occurance. Still, i have noticed a pattern. Occum's razor says i just have selective ADD when it comes to playing videogames.

See ya next week, and happy gaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment