Monday, April 2, 2012

Monday Musings - 2nd April, 2012

Man what a day. Wrestlemania in the morning, intense bass lessons in the afternoon, and i somehow sprained or twisted my ankle during the day. Forgiveness if musings is a little lite this week.


Mass Effect (PC)

I finished off my third playthrough of Mass Effect last Monday night. While it was kinda cool to burn through the game, this run-through felt a little empty. I'm not quite sure why. I think it wasn't the renegade options but more just running through the main story, avoiding all character interaction and all side quests. I imagine half the fun of renegade is the way you approach some side quests and just playing the main story just felt kind of empty. I think when i finally get around to playing Mass Effect 2, i'll be using the character from my 2nd run-through in which i went full paragon and did every side quest in the game (excluding the collection fetch quests... though i get close to completing them due to other things).


Left 4 Dead 2 (PC)

I usually find myself playing a couple games of this each year, and each time i load it up again, i say the same thing. "Why don't i play more of this?". I mean yes, it's kind of annoying when you have iffy team-mates (like this suicidal japanese guy in our game), but there's a lot of fun to be had in the campaigns, most of which i haven't really played through.

And on top of that, they seem to have added a metric ton of new campaigns to the game. I picked Swamp Fever as i cannot remember playing it (my favourite out of those i have played is Hard Rain). After the third restart on chapter three, dying when you lower that tiny bridge in the bungalows i decided to call it quits. Well it was midnight and i was yawning up a storm. Why don't i play more of this?


Catherine (PS3)

Aside from yawning up a storm playing an action game, one should definitely not tackle a puzzle game when one is sleepy. I did finally best the first chapter of the clock tower eventually, but i knew that continuing would be a folly.

I will say the moral system in this game confuses the hell outta me. The first playthrough of a game with moral choices, i always answer how i would truthfully answer if i was the player character. In Catherine, this practise has kept me around the middle of the moral barometer. I'll answer one person and the dial will move a great chunk towards the angelic side, then i answer the next question, and it'll fly back towards neutral territory. Maybe this is an indicator of things not being so clear cut in the choices the game offers, but as a player, i find it utterly confusing and a little disheartening. The game apparently has eight endings (i wonder if one is a clown ending. Bonus points for getting the reference there), and after overcoming all this fiendish puzzlement, i'd like a satisfying conclusion, and i'm afraid i might not get that.

Time will tell i guess.


Superbrothers: Sword & Sorcery EP (IoS)

I picked this up when it was on sale a couple weeks ago for two dollars. You know, most games that recommend you use headphones to enhance the experience i ignore the suggestion, but there was something about this game that made me grab a set and plug them into my iphone. I am glad i did. If nothing else, the sound design and music cues in this game are amazing. It's a good thing i find the visuals engrossing and having played the first session, the gameplay and story are very intriguing.

Coolest part by far... so far is turning the iphone into portrait mode fluidly changes to your attack mode. It's a great use of turning the phone and so far it has been used sparingly. It seems mostly a game of exploration and mood rather than action or combat, but in session one, there were definitely tense and foreboding moments. The gameplay being broken into sessions that have an estimated time to complete really helps sell it as a game designed for a portable device as well. if you have 15 - 30 mins to spare, you can pop the headphones on, site down and have a complete experience that's part of a larger whole.

I'm very interested to see what the rest of the game is like.


Final Thoughts

Since i wish to go lay down i will forego any lengthy discussion and instead offer you some awesome videogame music. Music from a game that would probably be in my top 10 (i do need to create that list one of these days).



Till next week, happy gaming all!

No comments:

Post a Comment